Welcome to Unity on the River
Who We Are
Unity on the River Mission Statement
Unity on the River Vision Statement
Unity on the River began in May 1994 as a prayer and study group. Reverend Shipley Allinson was called to become a minister, and she had a vision of bringing Unity to her community. From the first small study group in Shipley’s home, the group increased for three more years before deciding to hold services once a month in the basement of a bank. In the spring of 1997, Unity of Greater Newburyport (as it was originally named) moved to the Masonic Temple in Newburyport and held services every other Sunday.
As the congregation grew to over 70 people, Unity of Greater Newburyport relocated to a more permanent space and a new home, located on the Powwow River in Amesbury, Massachusetts.
Unity of Greater Newburyport was renamed Unity on the River to honor this new location. The community grew rapidly and additional space was purchased to accommodate its growth. Reverend Ogun Holder became the Senior Minister in January 2015.
The congregation continues to expand and grow, and is now the largest Unity spiritual community in New England.
Core Unity Principles
We support all people in their individual quest to know God and find hope, healing, prosperity, and peace. Our philosophy offers a practical approach to Christianity and helps people of all faiths apply positive spiritual principles in their daily lives.
- God is the Source and Creator of all, God is good and everywhere present.
- We are spiritual beings, created in God's image. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.
- Our thinking creates our life experiences.
- Through the power of affirmative prayer & meditation, we increase our connection to God.
- Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not enough. We must live them.
Read about the Unity 12 powers here
More information on Unity beliefs here
Our By-Laws, which were most recently updated in February 2022, can be read here.
What We Offer
- A vibrant spiritual community that celebrates the presence in all and awakens humanity to its Divinity.
- Weekly services; 10 am Sunday Service and 7 pm Wednesday Service
- In addition to our Senior Minister, a variety of Guest Speakers and workshops.
- Prayer Support is available
- Childcare on Sundays provided by our Youth and Family Ministry. (pending)
- Ongoing workshops, classes and events.
- On-site Bookstore. (pending)
- Weekly Newsletter
View our Ministry page to learn more.
We welcome all paths to God and encourage everyone to see membership in Unity on the River.
Requirements for membership are:
-22 hours of class work
-Foundations of Unity class (10 hrs)
-Absolute Abundance Class (10 hrs)
-Unity Membership Class (formerly Unity Basics I&II)-2 hours
-Signed membership Covenant
*Details on the above classes may be found in the calendar section or by contacting the office 978 834 7830.
Unity on the River is an inclusive spiritual community. We honor all paths to God and welcome anyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, race, nationality, orientation, identification or ability.